Vision 2021 for United Arab Emirates aims to put UAE on the map as one of the best countries in the world.
The vision describes six national priorities with world-class healthcare as one of its pillars for government action in the coming years. As part of this initiative, both public and private hospitals are expected to participate and be accredited 100% by 2021 with clear national and international standards for quality of services and manpower (UAE Vision 2021).
Private Healthcare Ecosystem
The trend of private sector growth is expected to grow with both HAAD and DHA looking for involvement from private sector. DHA is seeking 70% private sector share (Investing in Quality healthcare UAE; Economist Intelligence Unit Ltd).
The report produced by US-UAE Business Council Report titled “UAE Healthcare Sector” gives an indication of the UAE healthcare sector. The below is an excerpt from the report:
- Abu Dhabi: 39 hospitals (14 government, 25 private; 26 are JCI accredited), with 4,226 beds, or 2.7 beds for every 1500 of the population, servicing approximately 2.5 million people.
- Dubai: 38 hospitals (6 government, 32 private; 20 are JCI accredited), with 3,857 beds, or 1 bed for every 532 of the population, servicing approximately 2.1 million people.
- Sharjah: 15 hospitals (5 government, 10 private; 1 is JCI ac- credited), with 898 beds, or 1 bed for every 1,670 of the pop- ulation, servicing approximately 1.5 million people.
- Ras Al Khaimah: 5 hospitals (4 government, 1 private; 1 is JCI accredited), with 562 beds, or 1 bed for every 533 of the population, servicing approximately 300 thousand people.
- Ajman: 3 hospitals (1 government, 2 private; 1 is JCI accredit- ed), with 189 beds, or 1 bed for every 1,269 of the population, servicing approximately 240 thousand people.
- Fujairah: 3 hospitals (2 government, 1 private), with 358 beds, or 1 bed for every 558 of the population, servicing ap- proximately 200 thousand people.
- Umm Al Quwain: 1 government hospital, with 165 beds, or 1 bed for every 606 of the population, servicing approximate- ly 100 thousand people.